Last week I wrote about our visit to Judy’s old homestead and how we moved her outhouse to our farm. This past weekend, we got busy setting up the outhouse.
It wasn’t too hard, about half a day worth of work, but this is because we have a tractor with a backhoe attachment so the hardest part of digging the hole was done by the machine.
We chose a spot about 100 feet from everything else, measured the dimensions, and started digging. In the beginning, it was very easy, but once we got about 4 feet deep, we hit rock and because the hole was small, it was hard for the backhoe to dig any deeper.
Everywhere I read, said you should have your hole dug 4 to 6 feet deep. We tried to use a shovel to deepen it a bit, but it was really hard. So finally we decided to add a bit of soil on the bottom of the hole so it’s not an exposed rock down there, and set the outhouse on it.