Remember last week, when we made an amazing mulberry jam from Pakistani Mulberries?
So this week we are going to use the jam to make thumbprint cookies.
The recipe for the dough is just a simple recipe for sugar cookies. I make them all the time with my kids. They love decorating them with sprinkles and such.
But you can also use this same simple recipe to make thumbprint cookies with your favorite jam. Whatever jam you use, you want to make sure it’s thick and not too runny so it won’t spill out of the cookie when you bake your cookies.
Thumbprint Cookies Recipe With Mulberry Jam…
Ok, let’s start…
Add two cups all-purpose flour to a mixing bowl…
Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
Cut two sticks of salted butter into a small bowl…
And melt the butter in the microwave (or you can melt the butter in a pot on the stovetop).
Add the melted butter and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the bowl with the flour…
And mix it all together…
Until the dough is smooth.
Next we chill the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge.
After 30 minutes, take the dough out of the fridg, grab a tablespoon of dough and shape it into a small ball. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place your ball of dough on the sheet.
Stick your thumb in the center of the dough…
And shape it into a little nest.
Keep going until the baking sheet is full of little dough nests.
Grab your jam and add a little bit (maybe half a teaspoon) in the center of each cookie.
Keep going until all of your cookies have jam in the center of them.
Bake in 350 F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden.
Take the sheet out of the oven and let the cookies rest for a couple of minutes…
Then you can transfer them onto a cookie rack to cool all the way.
They are soft and sweet and delicious!
Again, you can use this dough recipe to make simple sugar cookies or you can use it for thumbprint cookies like those ones. You can use any jam you like just make sure it’s not too runny because it will spill out of the cookie when baking if it is.
Here is the printable…
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Some mulberry jam.
1. Into a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
2. Mix the ingredients into a smooth dough.
3. Chill for 30 minutes.
4. Take dough out of fridge and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grab a tablespoon of the dough, shape it into a ball, and place on the baking sheet.
5. Press your thumb into the center of the ball and shape it into a nest.
6. Drop half a tablespoon of jam in the middle of each nest.
7. Bake in a 350F preheated oven 12-15 minutes or until the dough is slightly golden.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on a cookie rack.